"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Friday, 30 May 2014

Survival of the foolish


If there is one lesson I have learnt over the last few, painful and sometimes crazy, months is that failure is relative, and like beauty, it is in the eyes of the beholder. For lack of a better analogy, pardon the bottle of cheap Shiraz, I was birthing myself. Goddammit it took a long time, I think I may still be half way in, but at least I am out and I am alive.

Ultimately survival is the measure of success, I now know I can survive with little. The numbers lullaby every night, adding up and subtracting, did I get the dates right? At least I won’t starve, I have baked beans in the cupboard, and the credit card that I will never pay, I can buy cheap wine.  Duty-free menthols, diet coke, coffees, and earl grey. No wonder I don’t eat.

For once in my life I know I can survive and that has made me want to live. It might be the manic self talking, but a few days ago I was prepared to check out, sell my things on e-bay, pay my debts and disappear. But as it happens and as I continued to write I realised  my love of life had been clouded, taken apart, mechanised. I had done that, I had done it so I could survive.

And so, I come to this place where I have to undo myself, put my failures on display, where my scars are showing, every cut and every bruise; I have been the canvas of so many emotions that if all of them showed at once I would cease to be, I would become pain.

Yet I choose to remain, there is survival in all of this. Another glass and a cigarette, perfect. And I write foolish words that only I can understand. I do wonder still, not of my strength but of my will, can I be this person for much longer? 




No comments:

Post a Comment