"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Saturday, 15 February 2014

"Break the silence"

Reading  The Best Advice We'd Give Our Younger Selves -- In 3 Words got me thinking. Lately I have been drowning in a sea of self-pity, at the age of 32 I feel like a failure and I am desperately trying to blame it on circumstances other than my inability for success. I have no professional career, more debts than savings, and absolutely no idea what I want to do, last night it hit me, I actually don't have a dream any more. What happened to me over the years that led to this point? 

I know now that I spent too many years in silence, and in those years parts of me shut down. Parts were dreams flourish. Yes, I became stronger, but the impact they had on me, the impact of living with the madness in silence for so many years was so great that I am afraid there are things I can never get back. Nonetheless, there were powerful lessons I would not have learned otherwise, to be strong alone, to walk through hell in solitude demands a courage I still carry with me. For that I need to remember that it was that courage that help me break the silence, so I will for that find a new dream, somewhere, unexpectedly. 

The advice I would give my younger self is to remember to break the silence, always. It is in the unspoken were demons dwell. 

"Self-pity in its early stage is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable." Maya Angelou







No comments:

Post a Comment