"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Thursday, 10 April 2014

"Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith"


It is both a blessing and a curse that I sometimes need to reach unbearable desperation to take a much needed leap of faith—perhaps  less of a leap more of a step this time,  but the heaviness of the fog surrounding me for months on end made that step feel like a lifetime had passed.  It had been a long and dark sadness that had consumed me for what seemed like years, a sadness that had dulled my intellect, had dimmed the light in my eyes and had taken the colour out of my skin. The desperation to find a path, to somehow fulfil the role my age requires had added anguish to my sadness. I knew deep down that I needed to go back to the place where I learned to live through my most destructive emotions, and to rebuild my life afterwards. Although it may seem like it, I wasn’t running away, not this time. I was doing the only thing I could think of that would lift the fog, because staring at those four walls and thinking I could live my life like that started to seem like a good plan.

And so once again, on a cycle that I am becoming familiar with, on a whim, taking that step of faith, following my instincts, knowing that I needed to breath a different air, to have different conversations, to touch roots I had recently planted but felt like the only thing that was my very own, I reached out to a wonderful friend, booked my flights, packed my bags and within a week I was on my way back “home” to Thailand.

Many things are different this time, I am not the emotional train wreck I was last time, and I am not seeking to challenge myself in order to heal those wounds. This time I am at a crossroads but not the emotional kind (surprisingly for once I am deeply content with the state of my heart) the crossroads is one that I’ve been avoiding for a long time, until it became inevitable: what is my purpose? Yes, that sounds a bit overwhelming and masochistic, but for me the fog that had settled in my head and in my life for the past couple of years was because I had forgotten to look for a purpose. It would be utterly ridiculous for me to assume that at the age of 32 I would have a purpose, but I had given up on finding one completely. I had forgotten why I was so passionate about so many things, and simply settled for making a living and paying my debts.

Making a living is not living. I was grey and tired. I was coping well with life, the many setbacks thrown my way I dealt with but I was grey. And the greyness led to sadness, and I lost the motivation to find my passion. I thank my instincts because they are sometimes stronger than my will, and they guide me well. And they did so this time, like they did the last time.

I left the comfort of my cave with the usual apprehension, not entirely willing to leave the security the blindness that the fog provided. But the moment I got on the tuk tuk on the way to my friend’s flat and the realisation that I had left London; that I was back, it was the sounds and the smells of Bangkok, I cried. I felt free for the first time in years. The leap of faith broke some heavy chains. We spent hours, and days talking. Talking about our lives, our jobs, what had happened since the last time we saw each other. She is an amazing woman, she has a great ability to inspire greatness and to motive not only herself but others to reach for success. Just listening to her, and having her listen to me was the first step I needed to take.

I met her son and seeing them together made me realise without a doubt that I want to be a mother. After all the loss, that for me was the most beautiful vision I saw when the fog started to lift. I don’t only want to be a mother, I am consciously making that choice and all that it entails.

Initially I was only going to stay a week, but for whatever reason I stayed longer. I went to an island and decided to spend my time there by myself, writing and thinking about the conversations I had with my friend. Thinking about the options I have, no, that’s not it, the options I have been given, and instead of dwelling on what I haven’t done with them I started thinking about what I can start building. For some unknown reason I thought, I sometimes still think, I am just a product of my circumstances, and that I have no talent of my very own, my ideas, my thoughts, even my feelings cannot be trusted (this as you know is an ongoing issue…). 
 But that, even if partially true, does not explain the person writing this, the person who decided to take a very raw look at her achievements, and failures,  and look back at who she was at 17, and think forward at who she wants to be, and who she can become. Does her idea of success contradict her vision of happiness? Can she marry the two? I do not know, but I know what I am not prepared to compromise: my intellect. It is outrageous that it took me this long to realise that but there you go, that is a lesson for everyone out there, if it takes a feminist like me 32 years, just imagine...

This unexpected yet badly needed return to Thailand is coming to an end, as usual I wish I could snap my fingers and become one of those people I admire so much who can move to one of these wonderful islands, set up a business and just do that. But deep down I know for me the fog would settle eventually because that is not my path, and it is not my purpose. But that life, their life, does teach me something, a lesson that I do forget too easily, I can live my life so simply and with so little and be many times more happy. It is a lot easier to live generously when you are generous in your own life, with yourself; not with buying things that occupy space that then you have to pay for, but generous with the experiences you give yourself, the lessons, the opportunities. Or knowing that when you go to bed at night you have lived a day on earth that made you happy and made earth happy (granted it is midnight and I am sitting in a bungalow in the middle of a rainforest with monkeys and geckos talking to me for the past five days, and I have not had any privacy from fauna in this island…).

I am going back to London in a few days and even though I wish I could become a writer and travel the world doing what I am doing right now I don’t think neither my liver nor my lungs would appreciate it. I actually decided a while back that being a writer was not my call, at least not my only one, and this “whim”, this leap of faith has pointed me in the right direction. A direction where my intellect and my heart are committed, and united, for once in over a decade. Now the work begins…


(there is no soundtrack for this post because I had no soundtrack while writing it apart from the laughter of a 2 year old, geckos and monkeys, the best soundtrack I have ever had)

No comments:

Post a Comment