It's been decided, Emma will be my wedding planner. Within a week of Andy proposing Emma had planned the whole thing, she knew what she wanted and how she wanted it, and in a very Emma like fashion and efficiency it was all sorted out in no time. I have to tell you, it was a whirlwind experience for me, I had heard of brides-to-be being a nightmare and changing their minds, and crying and throwing tantrums, Emma did none of that. I didn't even get a chance to plan the hen night, granted, probably that was because she wanted a civilised night, which would not have been the case had I been the one in charge. Under pressure from the other attendees I still tried to sneak in a few hen night like items but I was swiftly put in my place, to which I replied to those who pressured me, Emma knows what she wants. I am actually quite surprised I have been allowed to write this speech unsupervised! But all joking aside, that is one of the reasons why we all love Emma so much. No bridezilla, no fuss, no messing about. She is who she is, and she is incredibly proud of it.
Not many people are as lucky as me. Emma has been one of the most important people in my life for a long time, She has kept me standing when nobody else could, and has made me laugh when not even Frankie Boyle could, she has stood by me and my decisions when everybody else walked away, she has been my partner in crime in many cocktail filled nights, she has been the best friend anyone could ever have. Not many people have friends like Emma, and of those who do, not many see their Emma's find such a perfect match.
Life is a maze when you stand alone, but it is only a riddle when you stand next to the one you love. You are no longer lost and trying to find a way out of the confusion, you have another heart, another mind and things no longer seem a hassle, life suddenly becomes a fun riddle to decipher next to that other person, the one who next to you discovers and sees new things, the person who will help you turn problems into solutions and make the sour times go sweeter.
Today Emma and Andy stood next to each other and made a commitment to make the maze just a riddle. They are to me an example to follow, and all of us should be so lucky to find a partnership so profound. I must admit I do not know Andy so well but then for that you have Mark to tell you all about it, but Emma is to me like another sister, and my closest friend, and for me, like it is for her other friends this day is a joyous day, because today Emma is standing next to the person who has made the maze just a riddle, because today she has become part of a beautiful partnership, because today she is a wife.
To be honest I didn't think much of marriage, being the feminist I am I always saw it as just a contract, but it wasn't until I saw the real commitment, care and love that both Emma and Andy have for each other that I understood what the deal was all about. Marriage might be a contract, but it is so much more than that. Marriage means standing in front of your family and your friends and making them witnesses to your love. It is creating that wonderful, intimate space that belongs just to the two of you, a space big enough to create a family, a home, a life. To support each other and grow together. The biggest space of all. Emma and Andy had that already; they've had it all along. Emma is the strongest person I know and now I realise a lot of it had to do with the strength she got from being in such a rewarding and beautiful partnership, and I feel blessed to have that strength in my life. Now that I've seen this, I desire it. Believe it or not, I, the eternal feminist, have been turned by such a great love. I will strive to have what they have, and so should all.
I could have stood here and told you funny stories about Emma, But to be honest the most important and life changing act Emma has ever done for me is to show me that love is a reality, and that it is rewarding because you build it, you work at it, you make it happen. Real love is not a fairy tale; we are standing in front of real love.


No comments:
Post a Comment