"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Sunday, 5 June 2011

Letting go is easy

Lately I have been learning to let go. It all started with an act of courage, facing my fear of heights. At the beginning I couldn’t let go, it was easier for me to remain hanging, tired, fearful, rather than just letting go, eventually of course I did, it is physically impossible to remain hanging and so I had to assume the consequences of my decision of jumping in the first place, I let go and I was safe, I had been scared for no reason. And so I started doing it over and over again, excited by the thrill, fascinated by my bravery. For the past few days I have been physically doing what I need to do with my heart, and every time I jump I get stronger, I get better, I enjoy the thrill of the unexpected. Yesterday I was finally ready to do the same with my heart, and I was granted the gift of clarity. The insights I got from facing my fears showed me I had been living a life that only lead to a path of self destruction and a mind stuck in the past, a life of unhappiness and regrets.

It is never too late to be happy, to do the things you always wanted to do; it is never too late to dream again. I use to think that I was too old to feel young again, that I couldn’t achieve what I wanted, and that the decisions made were carved in stone. Nothing is final in life, not decisions, not fears, not emotions. I have been trying to put that across, to help others see that, but what I have lived is my process alone, and others will have theirs, when they are ready, when they are prepared to face life without cowardice and embrace their hearts. What I have achieved I have done so without anyone pushing me, if that had been the case I would probably have refused to jump and let go, and I would be standing in the same place, smaller and weak. That is why I have not tried to push others anymore, I cannot do it without compromising the insights I achieved. I must let others do what they think is right for them, even if that hurts me, even if it is not what I want. Even if it puzzles me that they choose misery instead of happiness. They too, I hope, will one day face their own fears, however I doubt I will be standing in the same place, and then, perhaps it will be too late...

No comments:

Post a Comment