"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Thursday, 10 March 2011

In her shoes

Sleepless nights have returned. My sunken eyes can only reflect regret and my dreams are no longer full of colour. I wake up in the morning and I get down on my knees to pray to a god I don't believe in, praying for my sanity to remain, for this unexpected strength not to abandon me and for the forgiveness I cannot grant myself to arrive.

Once again I've turned my world into ashes, destroying my most delicate work of art. No longer a beautiful disaster I have to fight to get up from my knees, to say no to the poison that took my soul away. I spent my life hating her for the pain she caused me, I blamed her, I cursed her in my fallen days, and now I stand in the place she has been standing all this time, how uncomfortable do these shoes feel, how perfectly they now fit me, those shoes I refused to stand on. I am sorry I didn't have the courage to see yourself in me before, I'm sorry I didn't have the humility to forgive you before. I'm sorry it took this devastation to understand you, to love you again. I blamed you for my shortcomings and they were always mine to carry, mine to overcome.

Restlessness won't leave me; this unwelcomed visitor refuses to depart. Thoughts of guilt have chosen my mind as their playground, I spent so long fighting for happiness, and I so carelessly set fire it to it all. So fearful of not having my misery as my faithful companion anymore I tore this happiness to pieces. I didn't know how to be happy, I didn't know how to be loved, I didn't know how to dream. All I know now is that I have to learn, one day at a time, with an aching heart and a bruised soul, learn to love this mess I have become, learn to forgive myself. I will wear these new shoes with pride and with every step heal, with every fleeting moment say a prayer for my sanity, with every breath choose life and happiness. One day at a time. Just for today I will be happy, one day at a time in her shoes.

1 comment:

  1. You´ve made me cry. Words are your Art. I feel with you. Reading them I caught a glimpse of the bright, open space that's finally awaiting at the end of this long tunnel.

    I love you. I am proud of you.

    Your big sis

    ReplyDelete