"I am not duty-bound to resolve the difficulties I create. May my ideas always be somewhat disjunct, or even appear to contradict one another, if only they are ideas in which readers will find material that stirs them to think for themselves".
Ephraim Lessing

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

The Strength of Spikes

I am alone, grief is better that way. An embrace would soothe me, would heal me, but today I am made of spikes. Memories endlessly mix with sorrow and guilt turning my heart inside out, and just when I think I am going to become a river, I am solid once again.

Weeks of uncertainty, the dread in every call; the unexpected loss; the terror in the fragility of the ones I love. Pretend strength becomes real strength somehow, and the spikes fulfill their purpose, they keep me all to myself, and I can breathe, and cry, and hope; and I can also forget.

I can only hide behind those spikes today, I am fearful of disasters if I don't. I am still solid today...


No comments:

Post a Comment